Getting there is half the fun on a scooter!
April 2021 Issue
By Enzo Centofanti & Conni Laine
Whether you’re visiting Georgia’s coast for the first time, or you’re a life-long resident, you’ll see it all differently from a scooter! You’ll feel simply fabulous with the soft island breeze in your hair and the sun’s golden glow on your face. Beach Scooter Boogie will deliver your fun ride right to you, no matter where you want to go. Scoot around the pier village; see the Victorian homes in Downtown Brunswick; or ride along Jekyll’s beaches. You’re going to enjoy the freedom you feel scooting through the Golden Isles.
While you might have dreams of recreating the iconic scooter ride from Roman Holiday, with you and your beau filling in for Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, it’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to riding scooters. That wonderful scene is filled with “don’t try this at home” moments. Who can blame you for envisioning the 1953 film, since it started the whole scooter craze decades ago. Maybe one day you will zip around the streets of Rome, but it wouldn’t hurt to try it out a little closer to home first! Our area is much more relaxed and less hilly than Rome, but you’ll still want to consider these important safety guidelines:
• Scooter riders must follow the rules of the road.
• Because scooters are small, they may be “invisible” to other drivers.
You must stay alert, visible and go with the orderly flow.
• Always wear a helmet.
• Pay attention to road signs.
• Be aware of roadway conditions.
• Use proper hand signals and blinkers.
• Don’t drink alcohol and ride.
• Scooters are meant to scoot around and not compete with other vehicles on the road. If you must pass vehicles, do so with extreme care, especially near intersections—turning vehicles may not see you.
• Closed-toe shoes are the best for scooter riding.
• Be aware of other drivers’ blind spots.
• Maximize your visibility by ensuring headlights are on
and wearing white or reflective clothing.
• Familiarize yourself with the scooter’s operations.
• Always do a safety check before riding.
By exercising caution and preparing yourself for a safe ride, you’ll truly enjoy the freedom of the scooter experience, making it one of your best days ever. Besides, you can always recreate the Roman Holiday moments in photos before or after your ride! After all, Audrey and Gregory had stunt doubles for the tricky bits (not to mention hair and makeup staff)!
Beach Scooter Boogie—Scootin' through your day the Golden Isles' way!